Hydropower & renewables
- Around 28 GW of new hydropower capacity was commissioned worldwide in 2015, increasing global capacity to about 1.064 TW excluding pumped storage, according to the Global Renewables Status Report, published this month by the Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (REN21). New capacity was added in China, Brazil, Turkey, India, Vietnam, Malaysia, Canada, Colombia and Laos.
- The report estimated that global hydropower generation rose to about 3,940 TWh last year. However, persistent drought reduced hydropower output in many regions in 2015, including the Americas and Southeast Asia.
- You have reached an article available exclusively to subscribers
- Stay informed with exclusive, accurate and up-to-date energy news, analysis and intelligence. Sign up for 7-day trial access to this and more premium content. It's free!
- Get a free trial Already a subscriber? Sign in